Wolverines reclaim Island Cup, crush Orcas; 41-0 | Football

The Wolverines hoist the Island Cup trophy high in celebration of their 41-0 victory over Orcas

There would be no last-minute heroics from either side this time around.

But the Wolverines, after coming out on the losing end two years in a row, celebrated with wild abandon just the same, reclaiming the coveted Island Cup trophy in one of the more lopsided contests — a 41-0 runaway win — in recent years.

Friday Harbor scored on its first two possessions of the opening quarter and dominated the next three to seal the victory, Friday, under the lights, on its home field.

“I couldn’t ask for anything better,” said senior running back Micah Powell. “It feels so great.”

Junior Nate Steenkolk tallied two of the Wolverines six touchdowns, the first on a 28-yard run in the first quarter and then a 45-yarder in the third that upped the lead to 35-0 with 14 minutes still left in regulation. Senior Ryan Allen capped the TD-fest by rambling into the end zone with his first touchdown of the year with just under four minutes left in the game.

“It’s feels amazing,” Steenkolk said. “We just went out and played hard and we came together to get it done.”

In addition to laying claim to the trophy, the Wolverines improved to 3-0 on the year and posted their second shutout of the season. In a battle of unbeatens, they face Northwest 1A/2B League rival La Conner, undefeated, at 3-0, and a 42-20 winner over previously unbeaten Concrete, this coming Friday, at La Conner.

The Vikings, hit hard by graduation, came into the contest with two wins in their first two games, but, with one of its smallest team’s in recent memory, suited up just 17 players for the game. Senior Jake Zier, who scored the Vikings game-winner in the waning seconds of the Island Cup a year ago, led Orcas on offensive end.

Friday Harbor quarterback C.J. Woods hit a wide open Donald Galt on a 35-yard touchdown pass on the Wolverines opening drive to serve up the team’s first TD. Galt returned the favor later in the half, tossing a 28-yard TD to wide receiver Marquis Napier to give Friday Harbor a 20-0 lead at the break.

For Woods, a junior, Friday’s Island Cup victory is a first since joining the squad.

“It’s so great to have the cup back,” he said. “It’s a first for my grade. I think our commitment to each other and the bond that this team has is what makes us unique.”


Friday Harbor (3-0) travels to La Conner (3-0), Friday, to square off against the unbeaten Braves; kick off is 7 p.m.