Submitted by F. Milene Henley
San Juan County Auditor
Do you love a good argument? Then your County needs you!
This November, there will be seven local measures on the general election ballot. Those measures are:
- Lopez Island Library Levy Lid Lift
- Shaw Park & Recreation District Formation
- Shaw Park & Recreation District Authorization for Excess Levy
- Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District Excess Property Tax Levy
- San Juan County Charter Amendment to Authorize Biennial Budgeting
- San Juan County Levy Lid Lift
- Initiative 2019-9 regarding Operation of Vessels in Proximity to Southern resident killer whales
In order to ensure an informed electorate, every district that puts a measure on a ballot is required to appoint committees to write arguments both supporting and opposing the measure. If a district is unable to appoint committees, that responsibility falls to the County Auditor.
Not surprisingly, sponsors of all seven measures have appointed committees to write “pro” arguments. None have appointed committees to write “con” arguments. To ensure that all viewpoints are represented, the County Auditor is inviting interested persons to contact the Elections Office if you wish to take the opposing position on any of the proposed measures.
Copies of the resolutions to place the measures on the ballot, as well as Ballot Titles and Explanatory Statements of each measure, are available on request. For copies, or to express an interest in writing an argument, please contact the Elections Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 360-378-3357, by Friday, Aug. 16. Up to three people (per measure) may be named as argument writers, though they may seek the assistance of as many people as needed. Statements are limited to 250 words.