Submitted by the SJI Yacht Club
Ben Colwell on his Formula 18 multihull, Rum Line, a perennial winner, placed first on corrected time at the 47th annual Shaw Island Classic sailboat race, on Saturday, Aug. 12. The race was sponsored by the San Juan Island Yacht Club.
Colwell led the fleet with the fastest elapsed time at 02:20:33. It was a tight race, according to Jim Corenman, principal race officer.
“Rum Line, again won fastest elapsed time, but his first on corrected time was only 10 seconds ahead of Challenge, the six-meter skippered by Michael Durland that won PHRF-B,” he said. “Three other class winners were within a few minutes of first overall on corrected time.”
Prizes were awarded in all divisions. Full results are detailed below. Racers and guests enjoyed a hearty lasagna dinner prepared by the San Juan Island Yacht Club’s First Mates followed by the awards ceremony.
Beginning in Friday Harbor at noon, 40 boats dashed over the start line with most of the fleet choosing the clockwise route. Spinnakers bloomed on the San Juan Channel as they filled with a southwest wind. An ebb tide helped to carry these racers through the notoriously difficult Wasp Passage between Shaw and Orcas islands. Skippers in either direction found wind and nearly the entire fleet finished before 5 p.m.
After weeks of haze and smoke from the B.C. fires lingered over the islands with no wind, a near perfect window of racing opportunity opened on Saturday. A front moved in bringing cool marine air and southerly winds blowing 10 to 13 knots gusting to 17.
The race is a navigational challenge as currents, wind and projected boat speed must be considered to determine which way to round Shaw island.
2017 SJIYC Shaw Island Classic Awards
Fastest Elapsed Time: 02:20:33 Rum Line, Ben Colwell
First Place on Corrected Time: Rum Line, Ben Colwell
- 1st Rum Line, Ben Colwell
- 2nd Miracle, Serhad Atakturk
- 3rd Allelu, Chris Chesley
- 1st Moon Doggie, Phil Johnson & Peg Gerlock
- 2nd Yankee III, Peter May
- 3rd Sleeper, Jack McKenna
- 1st Raindance, Perham Black
- 2nd Hula, Bill Stange
- 3rd At Last!, George LeBoutillier
PHRF(Performance Handicap Racing Fleet)-A
- 1st Madrona, Carl Buchan
- 2nd Anam Cara, Scott Boye
- 3rd Hamachi, Shawn Dougherty & Jason Andrews
PHRF (Performance Handicap Racing Fleet)-B
- 1st Challenge, Michael Durland
- 2nd Interface, Mark Bunker
- 3rd Gone With the wind, Ron Hendricks
PHRF (Performance Handicap Racing Fleet)–C
- 1st Paradigm Shift, Vaughn Ploeger
- 2nd Not Fred, Gary Renzelman
- 3rd Treachery, Ken Machtley
PHRF (Performance Handicap Racing Fleet)-D
- 1st Ekono Juan, Ryan Forbes
- 2nd Wind Warrior, Jack The Skipper
- 3rd Juans 2B, Paul Von Stubbe