The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls.
• An Orcas deputy took possession of firearms pursuant to a court order. The firearms are being held for safekeeping.
• A deputy on Orcas was dispatched to a hit-and-run at a local business.
• San Juan deputies responded to a report of a person acting strangely.
• A deputy responded to a report of a death in Friday Harbor. The coroner accompanied the deputy and determined the person died of natural causes.
• Deputies successfully conducted required checks on three registered sex offenders at their residences on Lopez. Updated photographs were taken and reports were completed.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a moped for not having license plates. The driver was arrested on a warrant and for operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license in the third degree.
• A deputy responded to a fraud call in Eastsound. The reporting party contacted their bank and the bank is handling the investigation.
• A deputy successfully conducted a legally required verification of a registered sex offender’s Lopez residence. An updated photograph was taken and a report was completed.
• A San Juan deputy issued a driver citations for not having proof of current insurance and for speeding.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a report of vandalism of the sheriff’s office radar trailer in the 2300 block of Deer Harbor Road. Video surveillance footage is being reviewed to identify a suspect.
• San Juan deputies responded to a report of trespassing. The suspect was located and attempted to fight the deputies. The subject was arrested for second-degree trespassing; order violation; third-degree assault; malicious mischief in the third degree; and resisting arrest.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of an assault. The investigation is ongoing.
• A deputy on Orcas talked to a complainant regarding a theft. The complainant had paid for a service that had not been carried out. The complainant was told that because they entered into a business agreement with the other party, the case was a civil issue.
• A deputy responded to a report of an unattended death on Orcas. The death appeared to be natural. An investigation was conducted and a report completed.
• A San Juan deputy issued a driver citations for speeding and for not having proof of current insurance, and a warning for failing to display current tabs.
• A driver on Lopez was given a warning for speeding and for not wearing a seatbelt.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a threats complaint.
• A deputy on San Juan took a report of a runaway juvenile. A juvenile pickup order was signed.
• A deputy on Orcas responded to a report of a driver possibly under the influence. The driver was subsequently arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor and/or drugs.
• A deputy responded to a collision with no injuries in Eastsound. Both parties exchanged information and a report was taken.
• Twice, drivers on Lopez were given warnings — one driver received a warning for speeding and the other for failing to maintain their lane of travel.
• A Lopez deputy was contacted for questioning regarding the use of a generator. The person was referred to the county noise ordinance and other options for power were discussed.
• A deputy on Orcas issued a driver a citation for failing to renew their registration that was expired for more than two months and for not having proof of liability insurance. The driver was also given a warning for not having working taillights during hours of darkness.
• Lopez deputies provided an island resident with information they had requested about deer hunting regulations.
• A San Juan deputy conducted a welfare check and transported the person to a medical center for evaluation.
• A San Juan deputy was dispatched to a reported domestic dispute. The parties were separated and a no-trespass letter was issued.
• A deputy on Lopez received information about safety concerns about a particular driver.
• A Lopez deputy was called to check on an unsecured home after a caretaker discovered the front door standing wide open. The deputy checked the interior and found nothing appearing amiss, and no sign of forced entry. Recent winds may have been the culprit.
• A deputy on Orcas conducted a traffic stop and issued the driver a citation for speeding 57 mph in a 40 mph zone.
• Deputies conducted a traffic stop on Orcas and issued the driver a citation for speeding 58 mph in a 35 mph zone.
• A driver on Orcas traveling 41 mph in a 25 mph zone was issued a citation for speeding.
• On three separate occasions, deputies on Orcas issued drivers warnings for speeding.
• A deputy in Friday Harbor took a report about a residential burglary. The caller said his residence had been entered and items were taken.
• A deputy on Orcas took a report of a person having received threats from a coworker. It was determined there was insufficient probable cause to believe a crime had been committed.
• A deputy on Orcas discovered a broken water pipe under the road surface. The deputy waited until public works arrived.
• A deputy checked on suspicious circumstances reported on a trail near Lopez Village. Items of property were taken for safekeeping until the rightful owner can be identified.
• A San Juan deputy was dispatched to a reported vehicle off the roadway, then located and contacted the driver.