Vikings rally for win, Wolverines fall, 20-15, in Island Cup nail-biter

  • Mon Sep 12th, 2011 3:54pm
  • Sports

Sophomore rusher Dylan Radden hits the hole

On fourth-and-eight and with just over two minutes left to play, the Wolverines, trailing by four, went for broke.

Nailed it.

Wide receiver C.J. Woods flashed across and then up the middle, grabbed a nicely placed pass by quarterback Toby Frazier, and then rambled into the end zone with a 33-yard go-ahead touchdown catch, his second of the day.

For the second time in the second half, the Wolverines had grabbed a lead, this time at 15-13.

“I’m really proud of our kids and their effort,” Friday Harbor Head Coach Darin Scheffer said. “They fought hard all game. They grew up so much between our first game and our second one. I’m excited for the next.”

Only one defensive stop away from avenging last year’s decisive home loss to Orcas, the Wolverines were just 190 seconds away from reclaiming the coveted Island Cup trophy as well.

But the Vikings would not be denied. They returned the kick off to their own 35 and took possession of the ball at the 2:23 mark of the final period.

The Vikings lurched up and down the field, first gaining ground with a deep pass here, and then losing ground with a bad snap there. They capitalized on a deep throw and then on a penalty flag to push the ball up to the Friday Harbor 25, with a minute-and-a-half left on the clock.

They backpedaled 20 yards on the heels of a high snap but recovered most of that yardage after the Wolverines were flagged for pass interference on a third-and-30 play, the second pass interference penalty of the series.

The Vikings moved the ball to the 3-yard line on a completion over the middle by quarterback Robbie Padbury and, with just 18 seconds remaining, fullback Jake Zier then powered into the end zone from three yards out with game-winning score.

With the loss, Friday Harbor falls to 1-1.


The Wolverines (1-1) are home Friday, Sept. 16, to face regional 1A rival Merdian; kick off is 6 p.m.