Love in loss | Editorial

Life is precious. This is not a new adage, but when two young people in our community pass away, it brings this message home.

Kelli Ashcraft, 21, and Troy Sullivan, 31, died tragically due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. (Read more on page one of this edition.)

We urge islanders to be sensitive during this time. It’s easy to whisper about this incident in the checkout line at the grocery store or in the halls of the hardware store, but remember you don’t know who is listening. The ears of their loved ones are everywhere, and speculation about a young person’s death is not what they need to hear at this time.

We urge you to hold the ones you love close to you every day. We urge you to gather in support of those who are grieving right now. These cliches may seem like old news, but this week they ring more true than ever to us.

We also want to take a moment to recommend that you purchase a carbon monoxide monitor for your home.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.”

You can visit to learn about how to prevent CO poisoning in your home or other spaces.

Protect yourself, your home and your loved ones.