Lynn Carlson | 1942-2020

Lynn Morris Carlson, the self-titled Dancing Man led a fascinating and varied life. Primarily of Salt Lake City by way of Price, Utah our dad died on April 29th, 2020 in Friday Harbor, Washington where he had been living for the last 7 years. Married twice, first to Judy Stanfield née Rowley and then Mona Carlson, née Strand and father to five: JDee, Jennifer, Michelle, Max and Sam.

Always an entrepreneur, Lynn was used to calling the shots and doing pretty much everything his way. Lynn peddled pencils in elementary school, worked for various family enterprises in Price and founded a CPA firm in Salt Lake City. Lynn worked on a variety of other companies and investments, including doing expert witness work and obtaining patents. Lynn was very bright, and solved complex problems for his clients, and when Parkinson’s set in, for himself such as his ingenious “step-over” stick.

Born to F. Oscar and Rose Carlson in Price, Lynn had a pretty idyllic childhood, with lots of family and extended family nearby. Lynn graduated from East Carbon High School, class of 1960, where he was the student body president, on the debate team, and voted most likely to succeed. Then he attended Carbon College (College of Eastern Utah) until 1963, where he also served as student body president, eventually graduating from the University of Utah in 1965.

In the 1970s Lynn and Judy, with their young children JDee and Jennifer, tromped the Uintas, fished favorite creeks, collected pine nuts and asparagus in southern Utah, and went to their cabin at Scofield Reservoir. He would treat his kids to comics and vinyl records, buy them any book they wanted, and grew raspberries and rhubarb for pies.

In the 1980s Lynn and Mona worked long hours, had matching TAXMAN and TAXLADY license plates, enjoyed season tickets to the Jazz, and always found time to go to Scofield for summer weekends, taking along whoever wanted to go, including Michelle, Max and Sam, their children. Lynn would cook the frybread for breakfast, drive the ski-boat until the wind picked up, and then gas the boat and take everyone fishing in the evening. He never stopped making sure whoever was there was having a good time.

In 2013 Lynn moved to Friday Harbor, Washington to be near his daughter Jennifer. While his brain never fully recovered from the abuse of Parkinson’s disease medications, he had a happy life. He passed his last 7 years playing bridge with close friends at the Mullis Senior Center, dancing with beautiful women to live music anywhere and anytime he could, and spending time with his family.

Lynn is survived by his brothers Pierre (Salt Lake) and Merril (Price), sister Marie Mancini (Price), his 5 children, 8 grandchildren, and one great grandchild.