Steamed over stormwater? Here’s who to call

Do you have a stormwater problem? If so, Public Works would like to know.

The San Juan County Stormwater Utility is in the middle of a two-year assessment which will provide additional guidance for stormwater management efforts already underway.

The first step in the assessment, according to stormwater Manager Ed Hale, is to get a reliable definition of existing conditions.

“A good source of information is the knowledge of individuals who observe stormwater runoff conditions where they live,” he said.

Hale is asking islanders to help, and he and the staff have developed a computer-based reporting application which is available to anyone with computer access to identify and report stormwater problems.

The application can be accessed from the county web site or at

To keep local waters clean, Hale says the county should strive to exceed the minimum state requirements.

The website stormwater reporting pages open with a map of the county that can be toggled to an aerial photo. Zoom in, mark the spot where you feel there is a problem, and provide a short description.

The information will guide engineers who will evaluate the problem and how it fits with managing stormwater in that particular area. You will be asked to submit your name and phone number so the engineers can contact you, but your name and information will not be visible to others, Hale said.

The site also provides access for anyone to look at descriptions of stormwater problems submitted by other citizens and county staff.

This data, and other environmental and development data, will be used to create stormwater management plans in cooperation with the Citizen Stormwater Advisory Committee, which was formed in 2010 to provide a citizen perspective to the San Juan County Council.

If you are aware of a location that suffers from poorly managed stormwater, Hale asks you to “please take a moment and visit the site and let us know.”

If you are interested in ongoing stormwater management issues, you can attend the monthly committee meetings, which are generally held on the second Thursday of the month, beginning at 8:30 a.m. in the Legislative Building council chambers.