Boat runs aground near Eagle Cove, Coast Guard rescues four people

Gil Dobbe watched as a boat ran aground near his home today at around 2 p.m. The boat was stuck on the rocks in the Fish Creek area between False Bay and Eagle Cove.

By Cali Bagby

Interim editor

Gil Dobbe watched as a 23-foot recreational vessel ran aground near his home on Monday, July 20, at around 1 p.m. The boat was stuck on the rocks in the Fish Creek area between False Bay and Eagle Cove. Weather on scene was reportedly 1 to 5 foot seas and 14-mile per hour winds.

Dobbe said that another good Samaritan vessel boat came upon the scene and tried to throw a rescue line to the stranded vessel. Someone on board tried to catch the line with a large net but was unsuccessful.

According to a press release from the Coast Guard, the good samaritan radioed one of their sectors in the Puget Sound area about the boat in distress.

An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Port Angeles and a 45-foot Response Boat – Medium crew from Coast Guard Station Bellingham were launched to assist.

The helicopter was able to extract two people. According to the Sheriff’s Office they were brought to safety in a nearby field. Dobbe said the boat went out of sight soon after the aircraft left.

Something must have happened to the boat,” said Dobbe. “It might have sunk.”

The U.S. Coast Guard returned and Dobbe reported that two more people were lifted from behind the rocks. A total of four people were removed from the vessels.

We’re thankful that everyone was able walk away from this incident safely,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Chason Ashworth, a member of the operations unit at Sector Puget Sound. “The decisive action of the good Samaritans on scene enabled us to quickly and efficiently provide assistance to these mariners in need.”

Vessel Assist was unable to recover the vessel due to its location. Coast Guard officials are working with the owner to develop a salvage plan.

There have been no reports of pollution from the grounded vessel.

The incident is under investigation.