The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls.
July 24• A deputy responded to a report of found property in Friday Harbor. Attempts were made to contact the owner of the property but were unsuccessful, and the found property was submitted to the property room.
• A Lopez deputy assisted island firefighters with a mutual aid response to a structure fire on Trump Island. The sheriff’s boat, Intrepid, was used to transport firefighters and gear to the island near Decatur in support of the firefighting efforts that were underway.
• A deputy responded to a walk-in report of a suspicious circumstance in Friday Harbor. One person was issued a do-not-trespass letter for two local businesses. No further investigation required.
• Orcas deputies responded to an animal-bite call on an outer island.
• A Lopez deputy found a dog running loose on Mud Bay Road near Islandale Road and was able to get it into the patrol car. With some help from staff and patrons of the Southend Store, the dog owner was quickly identified and reunited with its family.
• A San Juan deputy arrested a subject who was known to have a warrant.
• A Lopez deputy investigated a dog bite at a southend beach. The dog was identified and quarantined for 10 days at home. The dog’s owner was cited, and a report was taken and sent to the health department.
• A deputy made a late-night traffic stop in Eastsound. After further investigation, probable cause was established to believe the driver was under the influence of alcohol. The driver was arrested, processed and released with a promise to appear in court.
• A deputy on Orcas was dispatched to a vandalism call near Rosario. Photographs were taken, and there are no suspects at this time.
• A Lopez deputy was called about two people who were illegally camping and blocking access to a boat ramp. The campers were clearing out when the deputy arrived, and were referred to appropriate camping locations.
• A Lopez deputy responded to a dog bite complaint. The dog was at large at the time of the incident. The owner was cited for a public nuisance violation (dog) and given a court date.
• An Orcas deputy conducted a traffic stop on Orcas Road in the construction zone. The driver was issued a citation for speeding, 40 mph in a 25 mph zone.
• A Lopez resident called about wandering cows. The owner was located and notified of the issue.
• A Friday Harbor deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for an expired registration. The driver was issued citations for an expired registration more than two months and for not having insurance.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for traveling 54 mph in a 35 mph zone. The driver was issued a cittion for speed.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for traveling 38 mph in a 25 mph zone. The driver was arrested for driving under the influence.
• A Lopez deputy investigated a citizen dispute. Both parties agreed to cease contact with each other.
• An Orcas deputy conducted a traffic stop near Map Corner and issued the driver a citation for failing to yield.
• A Lopez deputy was notified of a recklessly driven vehicle. The matter is under investigation.
• A deputy was called about suspicious activity in a Lopez grocery store parking lot. No crime had occurred.
• A deputy stopped a driver in Eastsound who had a suspended driver’s license. The driver resisted arrest. After being arrested, narcotics were found on his person. The man was transported to Friday Harbor to be held in the county jail.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for failing to transfer a title within 45 days. The driver was cited and released for failing to transfer a title within 45 days and issued citations for not having insurance and not having a valid driver’s license with ID.
• A deputy on San Juan stopped the driver of a vehicle for a defective brake light. The driver was arrested for a trip permit violation and issued citations for not having a valid operator’s license with ID, for not having insurance and for having an expired vehicle registration of more than two months.
• A deputy on San Juan responded to a single-vehicle collision. The driver was issued a citation for failing to stop at stop sign.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for failing to stop at a stop sign. The driver was issued a citation.
• A Lopez deputy was sent to assess a traffic hazard caused by a fallen tree hanging low over a roadway. A public works crew responded and cleared the hazard.
• A property owner on Lopez asked a deputy to conduct a VIN inspection on a junk vehicle to facilitate its disposal.
• An Orcas deputy was dispatched to a hit-and-run motor vehicle accident in Eastsound. A report was taken.
• A Lopez deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for speeding. The driver was ticketed for failing to wear seat belts. A criminal charge of driving with a suspended/revoked license in the third degree was referred to the prosecutor.
• A deputy on San Juan stopped the driver of a vehicle for speeding. The driver was issued a citation for driving 62 mph in a 45 mph zone.
• A San Juan deputy stopped an unlicensed driver. The driver was issued a citation for not having a valid operator’s license with ID.
• A Lopez deputy was sent to check on a suspicious noise heard by a resident. The area checked clear, and there were no further occurrences.
• An Orcas deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle on Deer Harbor Road. The driver was subsequently issued a citation for driving 80 mph in a 35 mph zone.
• A deputy in Friday Harbor was dispatched to a report of malicious mischief.
• A deputy arrested a local woman on an active felony warrant in Friday Harbor. She was booked into county jail awaiting a warrant hearing.
• A Lopez resident turned in a found wallet belonging to a Colorado visitor. The wallet was secured pending owner contact.
• A deputy on Orcas responded to an animal noise complaint. The responsible party was contacted and issued a warning.
• An Orcas deputy located and arrested a wanted person. The wanted person was booked into jail for an outstanding warrant and the additional charge of driving with a suspended license in the third degree.
• An Orcas deputy was dispatched to an order violation in the Eastsound area. The investigation is ongoing.
• A deputy on Orcas responded to a trespassing call. A report was taken and the investigation is ongoing.
• A Lopez deputy investigated reports of two pit bulls running at large on Mud Bay Road. No dogs were found in the area when the deputy arrived.
• A missing vehicle on Orcas was returned undamaged with only a spare key missing. Further follow-up is needed.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for failing to stop at a stop sign, and driving left-of-center. The driver was arrested for driving under the influence.
• A deputy on Orcas responded to a trespassing complaint. The suspect left before the deputy arrived.
• A deputy responded to a found-property call in Friday Harbor. The owner of the property was not able to be located and the property was submitted into the evidence room as found property.
• A deputy was called to the Eastsound area on a report of a suspicious person making threats on the phone. The subject was located, identified and questioned. It was found that there was no further concern for people’s safety.
• A Lopez Island deputy ticketed an unattended vehicle left in the ferry queue as the 2:40 p.m. sailing to Anacortes was loading.
• Deputies responded to a report of a missing person who may have been in a state of mental distress in a state park on Orcas. The subject was later located unharmed. A safety plan was established and the subject was released to responsible adults.
• A Lopez deputy stopped and ticketed a driver for driving 50 mph in a 35 mph zone on Military Road.
• A deputy received a call from a Lopez resident regarding an unidentified person entering their rental property home and leaving furniture. The furniture was subsequently removed by the unidentified person. It is suspected the furniture was delivered to the wrong address by mistake.
• Orcas deputies conducted a welfare check in the Eastsound area. The subject was found to be okay, but was cited to be in violation of his conditions of release.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for not having a driver’s-side mirror. The driver was arrested for driving with a suspended license in the third degree.
• The driver of a vehicle with an obstructed license plate was stopped by deputies on San Juan and arrested for driving with a suspended license in the second degree.
• A deputy on San Juan took a report of threats. The case is currently being investigated.
• A deputy took a report of an abandoned bicycle on San Juan. A property claim was submitted.