Submitted by the San Juan Island Community Foundation.
In 2020, the San Juan Island Community Foundation quickly adapted to a “virtual” San Juan County Fair by taking their popular annual matching grant event online. Nearly $140,000 was donated by hundreds of generous community members during the four days of the fair. After matching grants by SJICF were added, more than $170,000 was granted out to 30 nonprofits during this wildly successful program!
This year, SJICF is rolling out a brand-new catalog of programs beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Aug. 18 and closing at midnight on Aug. 22. Another batch of projects will be featured, including some local organizations participating in last year’s event and several new ones.
SJICF will match the first $1,000 raise for each project and will feature bonus games on their Facebook page each day to help participating nonprofits receive $500 in additional grants. The 2021 featured nonprofits are:
• Animal Protection Society of Friday Harbor
• Canoe Island French Camp
• Compass Health
• Friends of Lime Kiln Society
• Island Rides
• Joyce L. Sobel Family Resource Center
• Leadership San Juan Islands
• Mt. Baker Planned Parenthood
• Mullis Community Senior Center
• On Sacred Ground
• PADs for Parkinson’s
• Safe San Juans
• San Juan Islands Agricultural Guild
• San Juan Center Head Start
• San Juan Community Home Trust
• San Juan Historical Society
• San Juan Island Library
• San Juan Community Theatre
• San Juan Islands Museum of Art
• San Juan Island Sailing Foundation
• SJICF General Scholarship Fund
• SJICF Healthy Community Grant Fund
• SJICF Operating Fund
• Spring Street International School
• Soroptimist of Friday Harbor
• United Way of San Juan County
• Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
• Women’s Fund of SJICF
Carrie Unpingco, Executive Director of SJICF commented “Last year, the community didn’t hesitate to jump in to help nonprofits continue their essential services during the pandemic. It was a challenging year for everyone and continues to be for many organizations keeping up with the demand for existing, new, or adjusted programs. We were so inspired by the generosity and community spirit shown during last year’s matching grant event, and we hope this year’s will be just as successful. Every gift truly makes a difference — from $5 to $500! It’s also a great way to get the whole family involved in philanthropic giving.”
Don’t forget to visit sjicf.org beginning Aug. 18 to support your favorite organizations!
Established in 1994, SJICF is celebrating more than 25 years of success in granting funds to local nonprofits and providing scholarships to local students through the generosity of donors who wish to improve the quality of life on San Juan Island. SJICF’s mission is the help the San Juan Island community thrive through inspired and informed generosity and the Foundation’s trusted stewardship. To learn more, visit sjicf.org.