The Brickworks building was decked out for the season just in time for the San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce annual holiday party held Dec. 10 this year.
“Now that we have had some festivities and finished our business, we are going to hand out the awards,” said Becki Day, San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce Executive Director, kicking off the ceremonies. Day introduced Steve Buck and he announced the winner of the “Sam R. Buck” membership award. The award is named in honor of long-time islander Sam Buck, who is Steve Buck’s father.
Qualifying businesses for that award excel in quality service; and uphold the friendly island spirit; practice the highest business ethics and exemplify enlightened customer service and staff relations.
This year, Steve Buck awarded the Sam R. Buck award to Laura Saccio of the Birdrock Hotel and Earthbox Inn. Both Steve Buck and Day noted the work that Saccio has put into the hotels remodel since the building’s previous lives as a pizza restaurant and a youth hostel.
“She just exemplifies what my father stood for,” Steve Buck said before handing the framed certificate to Saccio. Saccio thanked Steve Buck, the chamber and attendees for the recognition.
“Laura is definitely outstanding in all that she does,” Steve Buck told the Journal later while explaining the award goes to someone who is both outstanding in the community and as a chamber member.
Friends of the San Juan Library received the Nonprofit of the Year award. When it came to the Awards of Excellence, Agriculture was added as a new category this year, which went to Aurora Farms, owned by Lori Ann Davis.
“Lori has also talked to many other farmers about joining,” Day said.
After raffling off items donated by some of the businesses — including sweets from Friday Harbor Chocolates, organic tea by Salish Sea Tea, and more, attendees chatted amongst themselves before heading home.
The Journal staff was honored to receive the Information award, shared with the San Juan Public Library.
Other winners were:
• Accommodations – Tucker House/Harrison House and Lakedale.
• Activities – Island Stage Left.
• Arts/Artist/Gallery – Rookscroft and Company.
• Biking – Meat Machine Cycles.
• Boating – San Juan Canvas.
• Books – Serendipity Books.
• Clothing – Cotton Cotton Cotton.
• Gifts – Friday Harbor Chocolates.
• Shopping – The Toy Box.
• Construction – Cattle Point Rock and Topsoil.
• Financial Services – Islanders Bank.
• Government – Town of Friday Harbor.
• Health and Wellness – Althar Movement.
• Island Services – Printonyx.
• Kayaking – San Juan Outfitters.
• Nonprofit – Safe San Juans.
• Professional Service – Chicago Title and Photography by Mark Gardner.
• Real Estate – Coldwell Banker, San Juan Islands.
• Restaurant – Vic’s Drive-In and Coho Restaurant.
• Service Club – Soroptimist International of Friday Harbor.
• Transportation – San Juan Transit.
• Weddings – Cakes by Felicitations.
• Whale and Wildlife – San Juan Safaris.