Wolverines seal first-ever win at State in shutout, clinch semi-final berth | Girls soccer

  • Tue Nov 18th, 2014 3:37am
  • Sports

Friday Harbor Hannah Hopkins

By Sam Paul-Barette, Journal intern

The Wolverine girls soccer team qualified for their first state tournament in program history this season, but it seems that simply qualifying wasn’t quite enough for them.

Friday Harbor (14-5) continued their dream run by blanking the Brewster Bears 2-0 Saturday, Nov. 15, at Mount Vernon High School.

Kaitlyn Domenech, recently named Northwest 1B/2B League MVP, scored in the first half and Hannah Hopkins was able to put the icing on the cake for the Wolverines with a goal on the other side of halftime.

The game began as an extremely even matchup, with both teams struggling to gain control, but it was the visiting Bears (10-10) who would have the first opportunity. Forward Daisy Gonzales found herself one-on-one with Wolverines goalkeeper Hayden Mayer after a defensive miscue, but the senior forward was unable to convert, rolling a shot just wide of the post to the relief of the many Wolverines faithful in the stands.

With the game still scoreless in the 25th minute, the Bears would be whistled for a foul about 30 yards from their goal and there was no doubt who would strike the free kick, as Domenech stepped up to the ball. The center defender hit a bullet of a shot that dipped perfectly into the upper corner of the goal, leaving Bears goalkeeper Karina Guzman with absolutely no chance.

It was the fourth time this season that Domenech has scored from a long-range freeK. Domenech kick.

The goal seemed to be a shot of adrenaline for the Wolverines, who began to dominate possession of the ball and would go into halftime clearly on the front foot.

They continued to show dominance in the second half and their control of the game would pay off when senior midfielder Courtney Bell hit a pinpoint pass to the right side, where Hannah Hopkins received the ball at the top of the 18-yard box and popped a shot over Guzman’s head and into the goal to give Friday Harbor an all important two-goal cushion.

The Bears weren’t done yet though. With 10 minutes remaining, a shot struck the arm of a Wolverines defender, setting up a penalty kick. a lifeline for the visitors from Eastern Washington. Daisy Gonzales, was unable to give the Bears hope, however, putting the shot wide and right of the goal.

That would be the last opportunity for Brewster and the Wolverines were able to celebrate advancing to a final four matchup Friday, Nov. 21. They will travel to Sunset Chevrolet Stadium at Sumner High School for a 4 p.m. showdown with Liberty Bell (16-4) who upset tournament No. 1 seed Okanogan with a shootout victory.