Letters to the Editor

'MV Catalyst is sound and is continuing serving her guests as scheduled'

July 9, 2010 News Update:

As you may have heard on the news, the MV Catalyst hit a rock while whale-watching off Port Houghton on July 6 on one of their seven-day trips in Southeast Alaska.

No one was injured and the boat was fine. However, all passengers were evacuated off the boat by skiff to the nearby Robert Island. There they were taken care of by the crew members, while the captain, Bill Bailey, returned to the boat to prepare her for keeling over as the tide was going out. He was able to keep the boat stable, until the tide came in hours later and she went afloat.

The Coast Guard had been called and all safety rules had been followed. There was no pollution in the water. The Coast Guard stayed by while the Catalyst righted itself. The guests, along with two crew members were then taken by the Coast Guard cutter to Petersburg, Alaska, and put up for the night at a hotel.

The Catalyst, with the captain and engineer, followed the Coast Guard vessel to Petersburg. She was examined the next day by a diver and found sound. The Coast Guard, however, wanted the Catalyst hauled and inspected. The boat was hauled the night of July 7 and inspected the next morning by the Coast Guard marine inspector. She passed her inspection and in fact was given a 5-Star Safety Inspection rating and certificate. She has been cleared and returned to charter and the master (captain) was not given any marks on his record.

The Catalyst, after minor cosmetic repairs, returned to the water that night, July 8 on the high tide. The guests, meanwhile, had been staying at the hotel and fed on the Catalyst and at local restaurants as well as taken on expeditions by the crew in the local area. They are all doing fine and have looked on this trip as quite an adventure. They have personally informed Pacific Catalyst that they are having a great time, and that the crew has performed professionally and have taken good care of them.

Most of the guests decided to wait out the haul-out and inspection and return to the Catalyst when she left for Endicott Arm, Ford's Terror and Dawes Glacier, so that the guests could have a look and experience these places, before moving onto Juneau by Saturday.

To all concerned, be assured the MV Catalyst is sound and is continuing serving her guests as scheduled. We commend the captain and crew and guests for their attitudes and hard work in taking care of the Catalyst.

Shannon Bailey
Pacific Catalyst II Inc.
San Juan Island

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates