Letters to the Editor

Dispose of toxic liquids in a safe and environmentally sensitive way

A recent article in The Journal regarding slug-bait poisoning of pets (“Don’t let snail bait be your pet’s last meal,” page 6A, March 4), and the sighting of a tell-tale green puddle in the Post Office parking lot combined to remind me that I have long intended to write a warning of the dangers of improperly disposed of anti-freeze fluid.

Last year, my family lost a wonderful dog who was poisoned by drinking antifreeze. It was a very painful and tortured death, with vomiting, convulsions and paralysis. Dogs are attracted to drink antifreeze as it has a sweet taste. They will find it in ditches where it has either run off from parking areas or been carelessly dumped. We believe that is where our Zoey found her fatal drink.

I sincerely ask that people dispose of any such toxic liquids in a safe and environmentally sensitive way. It’s a terrible way for a pet to die, and with care, preventable.

Thanks for taking care!

Pat Rishel
Friday Harbor

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates