- About Us
Disrespect puts gravel pit park at risk | As I See It
By Suzanne Bryner
Special to the Journal
We must be the luckiest dog lovers in the world.
We have the wonderful gravel pit where we can walk our dogs and let them play together. It’s great.
But the reality is that being able to let our dogs off leash there is a privilege not a right. That’s an important point to remember and it should be treated with a great amount of respect.
My dog has developed an aggressive attitude from being rushed by other dogs while we were at the gravel pit; I have heard the same from others. Now, I am working hard every day to correct that problem.
Every time you allow your dog to come rushing into mine because you have no control over it, you set my hard work back weeks and sometimes months. Think about that. I am trying to be a responsible dog owner. Respect that.
If you cannot call your dog back to you then in my opinion it should not be off leash. And if I tell you my dog is aggressive, respect that. Leash your dog as you pass and give us a wide berth.
The gravel pit is a luxury that deserves our respect and our beautiful dogs deserve our full attention while playing there. Picking up poop is not optional. I have actually seen people let their dogs out to poop at the gravel pit and then just walk away. Feces are a potential disease vector for both dogs and for wildlife. PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG!
Island Rec has made that super easy for us by providing not only bags but trash cans in two strategic locations as well. USE THEM.
One person told me they don’t pick up after their dog because the dog poops on the hillside. Either go down there and pick it up or keep your dog leashed until after it has pooped in a place where you can easily get it. There is really no excuse.
The gravel pit is a gem of a place, lets keep it that way. Respect each other, other dogs, and especially the people without dogs who come to walk or jog and do not deserve to be mauled by your dog. I would like to assume that its not that you don’t care, but that you didn’t know. Now you do.
A few guidelines above.
People manners for the gravel pit dog park
• If you see a dog on leash or with its owner off to the side, please respect their privacy and don’t approach until the owner says OK.
• Clean up after your dog. Plastic bags are provided to make this easy.
• If you cannot call your dog back to you without fail then don’t let it off leash.
• Call your dog away from the gate while other dogs are entering or leaving.
• Pay close attention to your dog and keep it out of trouble.
• Always be aware of your dog’s location and the body language of the dogs your dog is interacting with.
• Immediately stop aggressive behavior.
• Be responsible for your dogs behavior.