The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls:
• A Lopez Island man reported receiving a call from someone representing himself as an employee of a local utility. He demanded immediate payment, via Western Union, or services would be shut off immediately. The call was a scam and no money changed hands.
• A San Juan citizen reported her credit card was compromised and unauthorized charges were made.
• Deputies responded to a residence on San Juan Island to investigate a report of a domestic disturbance.
• A deputy issued a citation to a driver for failing to yield to pedestrian traffic in Friday Harbor.
• A deputy spoke with a Lopez Island resident regarding suspicious postings on Facebook by a person residing in Vancouver, Washington. A Vancouver police officer contacted the subject and determined she was OK but intoxicated.
• San Juan deputies responded to a single-car collision on Beaverton Valley Road. The driver had fled on foot prior to the responders’ arrival but was later identified. This investigation is ongoing.
• Orcas Island deputies were dispatched to an Eastsound residence for a reported domestic disturbance. A local man at the residence was arrested on a warrant and for resisting arrest and attempted malicious mischief.
• A deputy investigated vandalism at the San Juan Island Sculpture Park.
• A Lopez deputy investigated a hit-and-run collision to several mailboxes. Evidence was collected and a report was completed.
• An Orcas deputy conducted a traffic stop near Eastsound. The driver was issued a citation for speeding 48 mph in a 35 mph zone.
• People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, requested a welfare check on a Lopez Island horse. While elderly and thin, the horse appeared fine and had a field of grass from which to graze.
• A Lopez deputy was contacted regarding credit card fraud that occurred out of state.
• The sheriff’s office received a case referral from another agency. An investigation involving follow-up will be conducted.
• Lopez Island deputies, Lopez Fire and EMS, the county sheriff and county coroner responded to a plane crash on Lopez Island. An investigation is being conducted. Read more in “Recently passed pilots honored” on page 1.
• A deputy was dispatched to a report of a dog bite in Friday Harbor. The deputy issued the dog owner a citation for having a potentially dangerous dog.
• Deputies responded to a person who had escaped protective custody during a mental health transport. The suspect was located and resisted arrest. The suspect was taken into custody and transferred to the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office jail. Read more in “Escape on Anacortes ferry,” below.
• A deputy was dispatched to the San Juan Island area in reference to a noise complaint. The reporting deputy arrived and contacted the involved parties.
• Deputies responded to a Lopez Island residence for an assault complaint. The involved person at the residence did not want to file a complaint, and deputies found no evidence of a crime.
• A deputy was dispatched to a domestic disturbance in the San Juan Island area. The deputy arrived and made contact with the caller.
• A Lopez Island deputy stopped and ticketed a motorist for traveling 48 mph in a 25 mph zone on Fisherman Bay Road.
• A Lopez Island deputy was called to a minor collision in the post office parking lot where a vehicle backed into a parked vehicle. The parties exchanged information.
• A Lopez Island deputy stopped a motorist on Fisherman Bay Road after he saw him driving while not wearing a seat belt. The driver was issued a ticket for failing to wear his seat belt and for not having vehicle insurance.
• An Orcas Island deputy was dispatched to a Shaw Island residence for a death investigation. A report was taken.
• A deputy was dispatched to the Friday Harbor area in reference to an injured subject. The deputy arrived and secured the scene.
• An Orcas deputy responded to the theft of a bicycle in Eastsound. There are no known suspects at this time.
• A deputy was dispatched to the Friday Harbor area in reference to a runaway juvenile. The reporting deputy made contact and a report was taken.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a driver for not wearing a seat belt. The driver was issued a citation for not wearing a seat belt and not having insurance.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a vehicle for speeding. The driver was issued a citation for speeding 38 mph in a 25 mph zone.
• Deputies responded to a report of an explosive device near a public trail on Turtleback Mountain. A regional bomb squad team from Marysville and Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms agents responded. The device was removed, and there is an ongoing investigation.
• A deputy was dispatched to a noninjury collision. No citations were issued.
• An Orcas Island deputy was dispatched to a reported theft. The investigation is ongoing.
• A deputy issued a driver a citation for using a cell phone while driving in Friday Harbor.
• Lopez deputies were called to a domestic assault. One person was arrested and booked into jail.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a vehicle for speeding. The driver was issued a citation for speeding 37 mph in a 20 mph zone and not having insurance.
• A deputy was dispatched to a trespassing call on San Juan Island.
• A deputy was dispatched to an unwanted person in the Friday Harbor area. The reporting deputy arrived and discovered the person had already left.
• A Lopez Island deputy received a report of a dog that had chased and taken down a fawn. The information was referred to state fish and wildlife police for follow-up.
• A deputy responded to a loose dog call on San Juan Island. The deputy spoke with the caller and the owner, observed that it was the first offense and issued the dog owner a verbal warning.
• A deputy was dispatched to a weapons noise in Friday Harbor.
• A deputy in Friday Harbor emptied the drug take-back boxes located at the station and at Friday Harbor Drug. The drugs were booked into evidence for destruction.
• An Orcas deputy issued a citation to someone for abandoning a vehicle at a local towing establishment.
• Lopez Island deputies responded to a Lopez residence for a disturbance complaint.
• A deputy was dispatched to a traffic accident in the San Juan Island area. He arrived and found a single-vehicle accident.
• A deputy was dispatched to an overdose on San Juan Island.