The San Juan County Sheriff’s office responded to the following calls.
• A Lopez deputy responded to a two-vehicle, non-injury collision on Center Road. One of the vehicles struck the other when it lost traction due to ice on the road. The deputy issued the driver of that vehicle a ticket for going too fast for road conditions.
• A deputy responded to a family disturbance in Eastsound. No crime was committed and the parties were able to be civil with each other before deputies departed.
• A Lopez deputy investigated a business that appeared to have an open window. The building was checked and found secure. No signs of entry were detected.
• A deputy responded to the Lopez Village for a dog at large complaint. The deputy located the dog, that had returned home. The owner said he would make sure his dog remained on the property and under control.
• An Orcas deputy cited a driver for speeding 57 mph in a 40 mph zone on Orcas Road.
• A Friday Harbor school bus driver went to the sheriff’s office to report a car passing the bus while it had the stop sign out and flashers going. The bus driver got license plate information and description of the driver. The vehicle was located and the driver was issued a citation.
• A Lopez deputy cited a motorist for speeding on Port Stanley Road.
• A deputy took a report of an email scam that suggested that the victim would be physically harmed if $10,000 was not paid.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a two-vehicle collision within the Town of Friday Harbor. The driver determined to have caused the collision was arrested and processed for driving under the influence. The passenger in the second vehicle was transported to the hospital because of their injuries.
• A San Juan deputy was dispatched to a report of child abuse in the Friday Harbor area. The caller reported that a couple was abusing a child at a local business. The couple left before the arrival of law enforcement. The couple was not located but the incident is still under investigation.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a possible residential burglary in progress in Eastsound. The deputy found two locals who were admiring the view from the reporting party’s property. The two were removed from the property.
• An Orcas deputy was dispatched to a welfare check in the Eastsound area. The subject was taken into protective custody without incident after an armed standoff.
• An Orcas deputy stopped a vehicle for not having a front plate and for a defective brake light. The driver was issued a criminal citation for driving with license suspended in the third degree and for not having a front license plate.
• A Lopez resident called to report an intoxicated person on a beach near her home. A deputy searched the area but did not find the person.
• A deputy on Orcas issued a driver a citation for failure to use a turn signal. The driver was issued a verbal warning for the same thing a few months prior.
• A deputy was dispatched to a report of a domestic dispute in Friday Harbor. The involved parties were contacted and the incident was determined to be unfounded.
• An Orcas deputy issued a driver a citation for speeding 38 mph in a 25 mph zone on North Beach Road.
• A deputy on Orcas issued a driver a citation for operating a vehicle without a valid operator’s license on Terrill Beach Road. He was also given a verbal warning for not having a front license plate.
• A deputy responded to the elementary school in Friday Harbor regarding a suspicious event. The deputy spoke with all the parties involved, found there was no evidence of any law violations, and completed a report.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a reported harassment. A man reported receiving unwanted communications.
• San Juan deputies were called to the elementary school for an issue with a student in one of the classrooms. Deputies met with school staff and the student involved and the issue was settled.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a report of suspicious activity. The reporting party said he saw someone trespassing.
• A deputy took a report of an alleged fraud in Eastsound. The victim reportedly attempted to buy something on Ebay.com and the seller did not follow through with sending the item after funds had been transferred. The case is currently being investigated.
• A deputy on Orcas cited a driver for speeding 41 mph in a 25 mph zone.
• An Orcas deputy issued a criminal citation on a driver he had stopped a vehicle for expired tabs for failure to transfer a title within 45 days. He also cited the driver for a registration violation and for not having insurance.
• An Orcas deputy responded with Orcas Fire to a CPR in progress call. The deputy assisted with revival efforts. The victim was pronounced deceased on scene.
• A Friday Harbor deputy obtained information from a third party regarding a possible sex offense that occurred on Orcas Island. The deputy gathered the information available and the report will be investigated by a detective.
• A Lopez deputy received a complaint of a cow getting loose from its fenced pasture. The deputy located the owner of the cow and the cow was secured.
• A deputy spoke with a Lopez resident regarding a theft complaint. The reporting party said an unidentified person removed her business sign from Port Stanley Road.
• San Juan deputies responded to a reported disturbance where they found a subject with an outstanding warrant out of Seattle.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a vehicle for an obstructed rear plate. The driver was issued a criminal citation for driving with a suspended license in the third degree and issued a citation for not having insurance.
• A deputy responded to an Eastsound business regarding a theft of gasoline.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of a citizen dispute. It was determined that the dispute did not occur in the state.
• An Orcas deputy assisted a business with administering a random breath alcohol test on a commercial driver, which is required by the Washington Department of Transportation.