- About Us
Councilman treated for 'flesh-eating bacteria'; recuperating in Bellingham hospital
San Juan County Councilman Bob Jarman is recuperating in a Bellingham hospital Monday after reportedly receiving treatment for an aggressive bacterial infection—Strep A, commonly known as "flesh eating bacteria."
Jarman was taken to St. Joseph Hospital by ambulance Monday, Jan. 27. At that time, county officials said that the San Juan Island councilman was suffering from flu-like symptoms.
Jarman credits Dr. Burk Gossom of San Juan Health Care Associates, staff at Friday Harbor's Peace Island Medical Center, and San Juan EMS flight crew for getting him to the Bellingham hospital in time to receive life-saving treatment.
"I will be in the hospital most of this week while I continue on a program of intensive anti-bacterial treatment to help balance out all systems," Jarman said in a press release. "Talking on the phone has not been possible, but I have been keeping up with emails and texts through family members. I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and good wishes through this ordeal."
A former manager with then-Century Tel (now CenturyLink), a local telephone and cell-phone service provider, and former San Juan Island Fire Department commissioner, Jarman was first elected to the District 1 council position in the fall of 2012, defeating then-incumbent Lovel Pratt. He was re-elected to the District 1 council post in spring of 2013, besting Pratt a second time, in an election for the reconfigured three-person county council approved by voters in fall of 2012.
Jarman intends to keep pace with local issues while recuperating.
"I am on the road to recovery," he said. "I will keep up with county issues an continue working closely with my fellow council members."
— Scott Rasmussen