- About Us
- posted Sep 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM— updated Sep 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM
The Friends of the San Juans last week helped to enhance habitat for spawning forage fish along the beach at Barlow Bay, at the south end of Lopez Island.
- posted Sep 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM— updated Oct 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM
Sen. Kevin Ranker, D-Orcas Island, is named 2011 Realtor Legislative Champion by the Washington Association of Realtors board of directors.
- posted Oct 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM
If Plan A passes, solid waste service will remain at current levels. But if voters boo the measure out of the ballot box, county council members say their only recourse is to cease county operations of county transfer stations.
- posted Oct 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM
Friday Harbor father and son land a one-two punch in finishing on top of the annual fishing classic's leader board.
- posted Oct 10, 2011 at 3:32 PM— updated Oct 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM
The 322 ft. barge was being towed by the tug "Henry Brusco" when it ran aground early Monday morning on Belle Rock, between Anacortes and Center Island. The barge was carrying a mixed cargo that includes an estimated 9,000 pounds of Navy munitions.
- posted Oct 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM— updated Oct 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM
The Evergreen State will depart Friday Harbor at 6:25 p.m. and stop at Orcas, Shaw and Lopez, before arriving at Anacortes at 8:50 p.m.
- posted Oct 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM— updated Oct 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM
The San Juan County Sheriff's Department is seeking help in locating Dorothy A. Shayler, who reportedly suffers from depression and went missing without prescription medication. Her whereabouts are unknown. She was last seen Oct. 16 on Waldron Island.
- posted Oct 24, 2011 at 7:52 AM— updated Oct 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM
On Saturday, Oct. 15 about a dozen islanders gathered in front of the San Juan County Courthouse, fewer numbers, but with the same slogan of “We are the 99 percent” and island-centric phrases such as “Occupy Reality.”
- posted Oct 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM— updated Oct 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Six positions were eliminated in July to offset a fall in projected revenue, and three more jobs could be cut as county officials prepare for a 22 percent increase in healthcare costs beginning next year.
- posted Oct 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM— updated Oct 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM
The only way to temper greed is by uniting against it in thought, word and action. That is what I believe the Occupy Movement is attempting to do, and it is what I know we are trying to do here in our facet of the movement in Friday Harbor.
- posted Oct 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM— updated Oct 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM
As community members we have a choice. We can ignore the impact of domestic violence on children and leave children to fend for themselves or we can commit ourselves to providing the resources necessary to assist these children to live less traumatic and more productive lives.
- posted Nov 2, 2011 at 8:51 PM— updated Nov 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM
On Wednesday, Eaton, who presides over both juvenile and superior courts, accepted the foundations of an intricately designed plea bargain, in which the Friday Harbor teen agreed to plead guilty as a juvenile to first-degree murder and to receive the maximum sentence allowed, confinement up until the age of 21. He also agreed as part of that deal to plead guilty to one count of first-degree arson, but as an adult.
- posted Nov 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM— updated Nov 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM
The local chapter of the League of Women Voters has produced a flyer for public distribution called They Represent You.
- posted Nov 8, 2011 at 9:12 PM
With roughly 50 percent of ballots counted in Tuesday's election, Proposition 1, which seeks voter approval on renewal of the Land Bank's 1 percent tax on local real estate sales for 12 more years, held a narrow lead of only 141 votes.
- posted Nov 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has released the following warnings for San Juan, Whatcom and Western Skagit counties:
- posted Nov 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Divers discovered the body of Donald Mierzeski, 42, at the bottom of the marina near where his 35-foot sailboat was moored. Mierzeski moored his sailboat at the marina in anticipation of the Saturday's annual "Round the County" sailboat race.
- posted Nov 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM— updated Nov 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM
When all votes are tallied, Prop. 1 will pass, but not by much
- posted Nov 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM
By postponing the hearing, county officials will have time to "take a step back", evaluate assorted public comments and to discuss pending changes to the wetland section with its consultants and with local biologists, engineers and hydrologists
- posted Nov 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM— updated Nov 29, 2011 at 8:57 AM
Brandon Vance, of Seattle, and Mark Minkler, of Lopez, will be playing a concert of Scottish, Irish, and Cape Breton style music at Isle Be Jammin’, Thursday, Dec. 1, 7 p.m.
- posted Nov 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM— updated Nov 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM
San Juan County Sheriff’s Department took time out in this season of “giving” to celebrate several award-winning members of the force.
- posted Nov 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM— updated Nov 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM
The South Whidbey Record is reporting that Colton Harris-Moore is scheduled to appear in court on Friday, Dec. 16 to enter guilty pleas to crimes he allegedly committed in the state. Harris-Moore, a 20-year-old Camano Island resident, has already pleaded guilty to seven federal criminal charges in U.S. District Court in Seattle.
- posted Nov 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM
SeaDoc-supported research about Northern Abalone was recently published in the journal, "Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems.
- posted Nov 28, 2011 at 8:33 AM— updated Nov 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM
The Pacific Coast has no such comprehensive written history, and for a long time quake experts believed that the closest fault, the Cascadia subduction zone, was safely aseismic.
- posted Nov 30, 2011 at 10:58 AM
The meeting, meant for residents of the San Juans and Anacortes, will be streamed live from the county website, http://sanjuanco.com/council/video.aspx#mode.live.
- posted Dec 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM— updated Dec 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Lopez Library was recently featured in American Library Association's, "I Love Libraries" publication.