Drop off hazardous household waste for free this year (25 gal. or less)

A familiar sight? You can dispose of hazardous household waste for free at this year’s Hazardous Waste Round-up.   - Contributed photo / SJC Solid Waste
A familiar sight? You can dispose of hazardous household waste for free at this year’s Hazardous Waste Round-up.
— image credit: Contributed photo / SJC Solid Waste


The Hazardous Waste Round-up is a once-a-year opportunity to legally and responsibly dispose of poisonous, flammable, corrosive or other hazardous chemicals. Below are answers to a series of Frequently  Asked Questions about proper disposal:

Why? Taking responsibility for the waste you produce is the right thing to do. You don’t want this stuff sitting around your property. Proper disposal protects your health and the health of the workers that handle your waste. Proper disposal also keeps chemicals out of drinking water and the environment.

Where? At your island’s solid waste facility (aka, “the dump”, see schedule, at right).

What can I bring? Pesticides and other poisons, gasoline and other waste fuels, wood preservatives, oil-based paints and stains, solvents, thinners, pool and photo chemicals, resins, mothballs, polishes, degreasers, cleaning products, spent fluorescent light tubes.

What not to bring? The following are not accepted at the round-up: flares, explosives, ammunition, or radioactive materials — deliver these to the Sheriff's Office. Other “special needs” items and proper disposal regimens: anti-freeze, motor oil, and vehicle batteries – recycle these at your island’s solid waste facility during regular business hours; unbroken, spent Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) – deliver to your OPALCO office for free recycling.

Also, latex paint – dry out (solidify) and dispose as regular solid waste.

How much will it cost? There’s no charge at this year's round-up for households disposing of 25 gallons or less of hazardous waste. Household disposal costs are being paid by San Juan County Solid Waste Division and the Washington state Department of Ecology. Businesses must pre-register, however, by calling 370-7581 and will be invoiced for their disposal costs.

What you pour on the ground or into your drain today, you may be drinking out of your faucet tomorrow. Choose wisely.

For more info, visit SJC Public Works Solid Waste Division website: Or contact;

—Sam Gibboney, Solid Waste Program Administrator: 370-0534;; Brian Rader, Pollution Prevention specialist: 370-7581;


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates