- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Harvest of plenty: Savor the San Juans
By Scott Rasmussen, Journal editor
October means harvest time.
And with the arrival of autumn signaling a close to the busy summer tourist season, it’s also time for islanders to ease back on the throttle a bit and enjoy the bounty of culinary and cultural delights that the islands have to offer.
The fifth annual “Savor the San Juans” ties together in a single monthlong celebration some of the finest in island arts, agricultural, dining, theatre, cultural events, farm tours, lodging specials and much, much more. In addition, various restaurants and lodges will be offering specials throughout the month; see www.VisitSanJuans.com/savor, for a list of the participating businesses.
Whether down on the farm or in the theater, at a vineyard, in a gallery or at a restaurant, you’ll find entertaining and intriguing events and offerings – a feast for the senses, no less – on Lopez, Orcas and San Juan throughout the month of October.
Here’s a few of highlights on San Juan:
• Oct. 1-31; The Great Island Grown Festival, celebrating farms and food in the San Juan Islands
• Oct. 6: The Fall Farm Parade, 2 p.m., from the fairgrounds in Friday Harbor, along Argyle Avenue, to Brickworks building, 120 Nichols Street; preceded by a scarecrow-making contest at the Brickworks Plaza, and followed by a harvest chili cook off.
• Oct. 6: 18th annual Oktoberfest, at the county fairgrounds; traditional Bavarian music, dancing, and beer, sponsored by SJI Chamber of Commerce.
• Oct. 6-7: Artstock, a fall festival of art, at various Friday Harbor galleries and San Juan Island artists’ studios.
• Oct. 10: Food for Thought Community Dinner, student chef program, Friday Harbor High School.
• Oct. 12-15: Chiaroscuro Circus Mixed Media Art Retreat, Wild at Heart Studios.
• Oct. 13: Ciderworks & Distillery Tour and Tasting, Westcott Bay Cider and San Juan Island Distillery.
• Oct. 27-28: Halloween Pod Nod Sleepover, The Whale Museum.
• Oct. 28: Thornbush Farm Tour; permaculture orchard, innovative cultivation and more.
For more information and a calendar of events, contact San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau, 378-3277, www.VisitSanJuans.com/savor.