Submitted by San Juan Island School District
The first Friday Harbor High School community dinner of 2019 will be from 5-7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 16, in the school’s commons. Dinner is $15 for adults and $7 for kids under 12 years old. Proceeds support the school’s Food for Thought program and the Chef.0 internship. Dinner will start a little earlier than usual, so guests can eat and then watch the students present their community projects presentations in various classrooms.
Limited vegetarian options will be available. Check out the popular Greek menu below.
• Chicken gyros: chicken thigh in soft pita bread with tzatziki and romaine lettuce.
• Pork souvlaki: grilled skewers of marinated pork shoulder.
• Roasted carrots: traditional side dish spiced with turmeric and cumin.
• Rice pilafi: seasoned rice with fresh herbs, onions and peas.
• Greek salad: cucumber, tomato, Kalamata olives, red onion, banana peppers and feta cheese in a light dressing.
• Tzatziki: a cool and creamy cucumber yogurt sauce.
• Hummus: traditional dip of chickpeas, garlic, tahini and lemon.
• Baklava: rich layers of phyllo, chopped nuts, butter and honey.
Community service project presentations will be from 5:30-7:30 p.m. and last about 30 minutes. Projects include:
• Organization class.
• School theater project.
• Animal Protection Society bios.
• San Juan Island scholarship aid.
• Energy consumption project.
• Hartman Field renovations.
• Goat shelter and tack sale.
• Wolf Hollow video and bingo.
• Animal enrichment.
• National Parks Service.
• Pollution awareness in the Port of Friday Harbor.
• Environmentally friendly cleaners.
• Painting at the elementary school.
• PADs for Parkinson’s.
• Sheltered benches for Linde Field.
• Softball scoreboard.
• Fire station improvements.
• Interact club.
• District office garden.
• The hike project.
• Music and memory.
• Outdoor gym at Sunken Park.