On Wednesday, July 4, pirates, cowboys and mermaids were spotted on Spring Street in Friday Harbor.
That can only mean one thing: another lively Friday Harbor Fourth of July Parade is in the books.
Both town residents and visitors celebrated a festive Independence Day last Wednesday with such activities as the town parade, fireworks and local Kiwanis Club’s Pig War Picnic.
The theme for the town’s 2018 Fourth of July Parade was “Music of America,” celebrating music through the decades. According to the San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce, the parade has been rated one of the top 10 small town Fourth of July celebrations in the country.
The following prizes were awarded:
- Best use of theme, float, $600: San Juan Community Theatre.
- Best use of theme, non-float, $400: Community Marching Band.
- Best use of theme, children/youth, $300: The Rock Shop Villa.
- Judges’ special choice, $300: Boo Boo’s Women and Girl’s Boxing.
- Best-costumed group, $200: The Pirates.
- Best animal/animal group, $200: The Golden Retrievers.
- Best off-island entry, $200: Cousins Across the USA.
- Best vehicle, $100: Wally Weaver.