Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the town fireworks would start at 10:30 p.m. The town fireworks will start at dusk, which is expected to be around 10 p.m.
This Fourth of July, which is next Wednesday, has something scheduled for everyone, from marathons to parades, picnics, music and fireworks.
• 10:30 a.m.: The parade, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and Town of Friday Harbor, starts at the top of Spring Street and proceeds through town to First Street. The theme for 2018 is “Music of America,” as a tribute to decades of musical genres. While observing America’s independence, the parade will honor the island community and the amazing people and organizations that enrich locals’ lives every day. This year’s grand marshal will be Warren Jones, and “Citizens of Honor” will be Anna Marie de Freitas and David Pass. Each has made significant community contributions and has shared their time and talent with San Juan County. The Friday Harbor Presbyterian Church has reserved seating available to those and their families who require it. To reserve your seat call the church at 360-378-4544 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 11:15 a.m.: Immediately following the parade the “Pig War Picnic,” sponsored by the Kiwanis Club, will be held at the San Juan Historical Museum grounds on Price Street. Besides a barbecue (adults $10, children $5) there will also be a pie eating contest, cake walk and music.
• 6 p.m.: Rock the Dock, will feature the popular local band Duke and Mojo Nation, otherwise known as D.A.M.N. at the Port of Friday Harbor. Admission is free; food and beverages available for purchase.
• 10 p.m. (dusk): Head to the town’s waterfront to enjoy the spectacular fireworks display that will take place over the harbor. The display is organized by Nick Gislason and the Lopez Community Fireworks and sponsored by the San Juan Island Chamber of Commerce, Town of Friday Harbor, and a generous donation from Kings Market and others.
• Roche Harbor Resort Events:
Sponsored by Roche Harbor Resort at 248 Reuben Memorial Drive.
• 9 a.m. Family 3.3K Fun Run.
• 10:30 p.m. Kids games at pool lawn.
• 12:30 p.m. Doughnut eating at west lawn.
• 3:30 p.m. Blindfolded dinghy race.
• 4 p.m. Logrolling at wharf building.
• 10:30 p.m. (dusk) Fireworks show in the harbor.
For more information, visit www.rocheharbor.com/upcoming-events.