Submitted by The Community Foundation of San Juan Island
The Community Foundation was once again gratified by the amazing generosity of islanders at the 2017 San Juan County Fair. Over $31,000 was donated to nine projects featured in the foundation’s matching program. This amount was raised in just the four days!
The foundation will match those donations at $.50 to every dollar raised, until projects’ goals are met. This allows over $46,000 to be granted to the following projects:
- Animal Protection Society’s new shelter medical supplies
- SJICF Women’s Fund membership drive
- Family Resource Center’s “Our Island Neighbors”
- Friday Harbor Athletic Association’s “Let’s Finish the Ballfields”
- Hospice of San Juan’s “Help Sustain Hospice”
- PADs for Parkinson’s Eexpanding PADs training
- Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center’s raptor habitat and food storage
- Island Stage Left’s housing for the “Stars”
- SJICF’s Voc-Tech education scholarships
At the conclusion of the 2017 San Juan County Fair, 11-year-old, Moose Kinsey, from Orcas Island, drew Travis Ayers’s name from a jar with 120 contributors at the Community Foundation’s booth. That gave Travis the opportunity to select the nonprofit beneficiary of a bonus $1,000 from the Foundation. He chose the Friday Harbor Athletic Association’s “Let’s Finish the Ballfields” project.
The Community Foundation extends its deepest gratitude to all who made this annual event so enjoyable and successful.
The San Juan Island Community Foundation serves as a non-profit philanthropic umbrella organization helping donors, non-profits and public organizations to achieve their goals through direct grants, organizational assistance and philanthropic resource management.
For further information about the Community Foundation, call 378-1001, write to P.O. Box 1352, Friday Harbor, WA 98250 or, visit the office located at 640 Mullis St., Suite 104 in Friday Harbor.