Around Town | Events on San Juan
July 17, 2008 · Updated 4:29 PM
Museum opens at Turn Point
The Turn Point Lighthouse Restoration Society’s museum at Turn Point opened July 4.
The society, a non-profit group, dedicated the museum to an early light keeper, Louis A. Borchers (1902-1923).
Jim and Linda Bergquist of Stuart Island undertook the task of constructing the displays. The Washington Lighthouse Environmental Program Project awarded the society a $5,000 grant from the sale of Washington lighthouse license plates.
A docent, Nicole O’Neill, is on site. Museum hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
New book by historian Vouri
Arcadia Publishing Co. has released “The Pig War,” a photo history of the joint military occupation of San Juan Island.
The book is authored by Mike Vouri, local National Park historian. Vouri’s earlier books are “The Pig War: Standoff at Griffin Bay,” and “Outpost of Empire: The Royal Marines and the Joint Occupation of San Juan Island.”