- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
The hunt starts here
Easter and the Full Moon:
Spring is a time of renewal and rebirth, of bunnies and eggs and lambs and Easter.
Easter, perhaps the most holy day of the Christian calendar, was defined by an early Roman Catholic Church council as the first Sunday after the full moon, after the first day of Spring, March 20.
So, Easter comes early this year, and it’s time to start dreaming of marshmallow chicks and chocolate rabbits.
Bunnies and flower-colored eggs will again be in evidence throughout the San Juan Islands as the legend of bunnies delivering eggs (and candy!) to children once again reminds us all of spring-time renewal, of budding trees and flowers, and of summer on the way.
As in the past, there will be Easter-egg hunts at Jackson’s Beach (remember to bring an item or two of canned food for Friday Harbor Food Bank), and at Roche Harbor, and egg-painting at the Friday Harbor Fire Station and at Roche Harbor as well. Check out the details below.
And here’s a tip to remember, boys: your little league batting average will suffer if you bite the ears off your sister’s chocolate rabbit.
• March 29- Friday Harbor Egg-Dying Party, 5 p.m., Friday Harbor Fire Station. Children of all ages can help dye and decorate nearly 2,000 eggs for the annual Easter egg hunt at Jackson Beach on Sunday.
• Teen Flashlight Easter Egg Hunt, 8:30 p.m.-10 p.m., Turnbull gym, free. For teens 12 and up. Bring a flashlight and basket for a night of games and an Easter egg hunt. The hunt is sponsored by Island Rec. For more info. 378-4953.
• March 30-Roche Harbor Egg-Dying Party, 1 p.m., Outside Lime Kiln Cafe. Children of all ages can help dye and decorate eggs for the annual Easter egg hunt in the Hotel de Haro gardens on Sunday. For more info. 360 378-2155.
• Elegant Edibles “Eggsquisite” Fundraiser Bake Sale, 9 a.m.- noon, Community Arts Theater Society (C.A.T.S) present the annual bake sale at San Juan Community Theatre. Features a raffle drawing in which winners receive home delivery of flowers once a month for a full year.
• Easter Service & Celebration, 9:30 a.m., SJ Community Theatre. Sponsored by Calvary San Juan, service features musical guest Josiah James, testimonials, Easter message by Pastor Joe Gamez. Childcare available. Info, 378-7268, www.calvarysanjuan.com.
• March 31- Firefighters’ Annual Easter Egg Hunt, 1 p.m. sharp, 1 can of food for the food bank per child, ages 0-12. Join the San Juan Firefighters’ 25th Annual Easter Egg hunt at Jackson’s Beach. For more info. call 378-5448.
• March 31- Easter Egg Hunt, Meet the Easter bunny, 12:30 p.m. The annual Easter Egg Hunt begins at 1 p.m. Roche Harbor Village in front of the Hotel de Haro. For more info call (360) 378-2155.
• For various church service listings: see San Juan Public Library’s calendar at www.sanjuancalendar.com.