Lloyd Douglas Martin: 1919—2012 | Passages

Lloyd Douglas Martin - Contributed photo
Lloyd Douglas Martin
— image credit: Contributed photo

Lloyd Douglas Martin passed away in the early morning hours of Sept. 14, 2012 at home in Ventura, Calif., with his beloved family at his side.

Lloyd was born Dec. 2, 1919 on San Juan Island, Friday Harbor, Wash., where he was raised in what he referred to as a most loving home of his aunt Marie and uncle Clarence Tucker’s, with his parents Amelia and Stephen D. Martin.

He scripted in his journal that he felt he was blessed with  “2 sets of parents” and since his father was 58 years old and his mother 42 when he was born, his quote was that: “they thought at their age, that I was some sort of a miracle. (maybe not all the time, but most of the time anyway)” and was grateful for “my doting parents who I could never ever say enough nice things about.”

He worked in the pea cannery on the “mainland” to help college costs. He attended the University of Washington and also a trade school briefly until talk of war lead him to enlist in the military.

In 1941, he joined the Navy and served in WWII “from October 1941 to September 1945, which included 32 months aboard the Submarine Tender USS Pelias, moving about off the West Coast of Australia.”

After the war, he returned back to Friday Harbor. But until the years were too much, he kept in touch with his fellow crewmen through news letters and reunions.

Lloyd married Esther Ollerton in 1947 and shortly thereafter, along with Lloyd’s friend and partner, Bob Murray, bought a waterfront farm on the southwest side of the island, and developed it into a resort they named “Marvista”, which they ran until 1951 when they sold the resort and moved to Edmonds, Wash.

In 1953, their only child, Laurie Jean was born. From that moment on, he became the best dad anyone could have asked for. There was a special father–daughter bond that grew as he taught Laurie everything he would have taught a son… fishing, football, (and every other “ball”)… down to the proper way to hammer a nail.

He made sure he kept his family close with lots of quality times on camping trips around the states. And with each “road trip” there were three loud people singing favorite songs to pass the time as they pulled their little trailer down those roads.

Lloyd loved to sing… in the shower, behind the wheel as he drove through town, walking around in his home… he’d just break into song, not even looking to see if anyone was around… it didn’t matter. Such lasting memories of many special times together with his little family.

The majority of Lloyd’s career was spent in the real estate business for the next 50 years. Half of those years was as owner and broker of his own real estate office in Edmonds. After retiring, he and Esther enjoyed traveling and many get-togethers with friends and family over the years, before they had to struggle with the heartache of Esther’s Alzheimer’s disease.

Lloyd had a very sociable spirit. He made many friends who lasted a lifetime, not only from his childhood, but also through work and social events. He was a master storyteller, and loved to reminisce with stories and adventures of his blessed and happy life. Anyone who listened learned good and wholesome life meanings.

His main enjoyment after he retired was golf, and he had many buddies who shared his passion. He was able to enjoy his favorite pasttime one to two  times weekly (weather permitting), well up into his late 80s.

Lloyd is survived by his grateful and loving daughter, Laurie DeBaun, and son-in-law, whom he was so close to, Daniel; many cousins, and caring DeBaun in-laws. A special “love ya dawg” goes to dad’s “assistant” (as businessman Lloyd called him) and caregiver Amador (AKA “Obama”)—God bless you.

Also thank you to the Livingston Hospice team: Dan, Michelle, Jane and Nancy. Your care and compassion was beyond belief. We also want to thank our many cousins and friends in Washington who kindly offered help with out of town planning. A special thanks to Lloyd’s dear friend Helen Clouston, and to cousins Mike and Jeri Ahrenius for opening their homes for post-service gatherings.

Services will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012 at 2 p.m. at Beck’s funeral home in Edmonds. A graveside service will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012, at 11:30 a.m. at Friday Harbor Valley cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to The Alzheimer’s Association, 1422 NW 85th St., Seattle, WA 98117.

— Family of Lloyd Martin


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates