Federal funds available for food expenses

The federal Child and Adult Care Food Program reimburses child care and adult care centers for some costs associated with providing meals.

The following may participate in the reimbursement program:

— Non-profit, licensed, tax-exempt child care centers.

— For-profit child care centers in which at least 25 percent of children served are low-income based on the center’s licensed capacity or enrolled capacity, whichever is less.

— Child care centers that serve at-risk children.

— Non-profit homeless shelters that provide temporary residential facilities to children.

— Some public or nonprofit adult centers, or for-profit adult centers that receive compensation under Title XIX of the Social Security Act for at least 25 percent of their enrolled adults.

The federal food program reimburses meals at established rates based on family income of the children and adults served.

To apply for the reimbursement program, and for monthly income guidelines, write Carol Griffith, Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, P.O. Box 47200, Olympia, WA. 98504-7200. Call (360) 725-6200. E-mail carol.griffith@k12.wa.us.